You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Qualities of a good mobile phone.

Hello members of IRC.I want to know that what are the qualities you look and think should be there in a good mobile phone.
    When I wanted to buy a new phone, I wanted a mobile, than have lots of phone book memory and also expandable memory that can be expanded upto atleast 2 GB. All these at a reasonable price too.

My options were Nokia 3110C, Nokia 5200 and Samsung SGH 400 which is not available in the market right now. Somehow I am not so convinient with the slider phones so I chose Nokia 3110C, and till date I have not regreted for choosing that phone. I have almost 400 contacts stored in the phone book and it says, that phone book is 20% full. Still I have 80% of empty space in phone book and for some contacts I have added so many details too. I have added a 2GB micro SD card despite some of my friend's warnings. But till date I did not have any problems with that too. Infact I have not faced even slowing down of the various features.

Regards,
    RajmiArun,
    Webmaster,IRC

Different mobile phone brands represent different qualities which you may not be aware of when it comes to choosing a mobile phone.

The "original" mobile phone maker, Nokia have been around for donkeys years. While they do produce some advanced handsets like the N95 that was so popular upon launch, the average Nokia is built around ease of use and reliability. Once you've used a Nokia, most people don't want to change they have such a good experience.

Sony, understandably, are also very hot when it comes to music player functionality so if you'd like an mp3 player built into your phone this may be the brand for you. In terms of camera quality, Sony is still well ahead of the pack and seem so solidly made that they can be dropped and knocked and still come out the other side in one piece. They tend to be a winner when it comes to battery life too.

Samsung are possibly the most attractive handsets out there - suitable for people who put the appearance of their handset over other factors.

Motorola, the most unreliable brand and for that reasons alone I would never own one. I have seen far too many with problems to be willing to take a risk. And while some of the newer models have a great battery life, many of the older models absolutely stink in terms of battery life so be aware.

While the Blackberry software (and their rollerball) do take some getting used to, the Blackberry is a great device and one well worth considering if you are a busy person and feel all that extra functionality could make your life easier.

Hope this will help you choosing the best mobile for you.

Thanks,
    Rakesh

I need all the features like radio, camera, Bluetooth. But most important is camera which is helpful for trip photos.

Recently I lost my N73 mobile at Dadar railway station. I was to suggest one thing to all of you which I did not did is please make insurance of your mobile. If it is costly then sure make it.

Especially those who are living in Metropolitan cities like Mumbai.
    Mobile which is compatible with software installation, I will prefer them most like Nokia.

-Avinash
    Life is beautiful

Avi
    Life Is Beautiful

But i think these should be the qualities in a good Mobile Phone.
    1.Battery Backup should be good.
    2.Looks should be attractive.
    3.It should be not so costly that its expenditure goes beyond the reach.
    4.It should have a good quality of its Display.
    5. It should have all the features that are in use and fashion now a days.
    6.Its network reception should be good.
    7.Service for that brand should be easily available in case there arise some problems.
    8. Its resale value should be high.
    9. Its operating system should be easy to operate by everyone.
    10. The quality of speaker should also be considered.

Hare krishna,
    vibhor Kalra

Hi,
    I would look for:
    1. Durability & network reception
    2. Battery Backup
    3. Fairly Good Camera
    4. Sleek design

Regards,
    Ann

A good Mobile Phone must have the following Quality
    1. Battery must have a long backup time.
    2. Sleek design and must be handy
    3. Must be Cost less
    4. Must have a Good Display.
    5. Must have a quality speaker
    6. Must be compatible for software installation
    7. The network reception must be good.
    8. Must be a Good brand and should be easily available.
    9. Should have a good resale value.
    10.The operating must be easy.
    11.Fairly Good Camera
    12.All the new features like radio, camera, Bluetoothmust be present
    13. Music player functionality must be there

I will prefer Nokia model will do the best for u.

Qualities of a good mobile phone.

After reading my answer please read the section marked as IMPORTANT, that is written below my answer.

A good mobile phone for someone might not be as good or might be too good for someone else. Since "A GOOD MOBILE PHONE IS A VAGUE CONCEPT" I have decided to divide my answer into the following.

1) If you just want a mobile phone to make calls look for the following

Price Range 0 - 3000 Rs.

You will defintely get:
    a) a basic phone with reminder,alarm, phonebook, call register, etc.
    b) a 256 colour display (basic).
    c) FM Radio.
    d) Low end models from all companies.

Rare features in this category:
    a) Bluetooth, Infrared and USB connectivity.
    b) VGA or 1.3 Megapixel Camera.
    c) MMS features.
    d) Multimedia features.
    e) Java based application support.
    f) Internet connectivity (GPRS and EDGE).

2) If you want a mobile phone with a little extra features and flaunt value look for the following:

Price Range: 3000 - 10000 Rs.

My personal favourites here:

Nokia 6300 - 6500 RS (approx - subject to change)
    Nokia 3110c - 3700 Rs (approx - subject to change)

You will get all the features mentioned in (1) and also, all the features that were rare in the previous category become standard in here along with:

a) A good colour display: Usually 256K or 16bit. Nokia 6300 for example has better display than Nokia N70 or N73 though the phones are priced much higher than the Nokia 6300.
    b) Flaunt value: From here mobiles get better looking, attractive and some even have a stainless steel finish.
    c) Increased phonebook storage and the ability to associate pictures, videos etc with contacts.
    d) 1.3 to 2 MegaPixel Camera's
    e) External Storage (To use SD cards.)
    f) Multimedia features: Play music, videos and view pictures.
    g) Backing up of phone contents to a computer with proper software installed.

Rare Features in this category:

a) 16-bit Colour TFT Display`.
    b) Wi-FI Connectivity (Directly interface with computer networks).
    c) Camera Flash.
    d) Video Recording at higher resolutions (320 x 240 and 640 x 480).
    e) Real Media and MPEG file support.

3) If you want a mobile phone which is the jack of all trades look here. This category contains most of the business and multimedia phones apart from the high end ones which are placed in another category.

Price Range: 10000 - 20000 Rs.

You will get all the features mentioned in (1) AND (2) AND also, all the features that were rare in the previous categories become standard in here along with:

a) Bluetooth 2.0 (a faster version of bluetooth).
    b) Support for increased storage due to inbuilt storage space.
    c) Unlimited Phonebook memmory
    d) Full featured productivity applications ranging from office software to multimedia applications and better looking games.
    e) Faster internal processors than the previous category.
    f) Mobile OS'es like Windows Mobile, Symbian OS and Mobile Linux start appearing in this category. These are a geeks delight.
    g) 3.2 to 5 Megapixel Cameras with photography enhancing features.
    h) AGPRS connectivity.

1) More than 5 Megapixel cameras.
    2) Carl Zeiss Optics for camera lens
    3) Xenon Flash: provides much brighter flash.
    4) WiMAX Connectivity. (improved WI-FI)
    5) A good Touch Screen.

4) The Elite: For thise who want the best, the latest and the most feature packed of all phones. Simply using one in public places is bound to generate interest of many people around you.

Price Range: 20000 - No Bar.

You will get all the features mentioned in (1), (2) and (3) and also, all the features that were rare in the previous categories become standard in here along with:

a) Accelerometer and orientation sensor: for auto rotate.
    b) Better Processors.
    c) The latest versions of all the mobile OS'es
    d) The greatest amount of storage ranging from 2 to 32 GB
    e) Physics based games.
    f) The fastest mobile connectivity options.
    g) 5 - 8 Megapixel Cameras.

a) AMOLED screens
    b) HD Quality Video Shooting (Samsung Omnia i8910 - unreleased)
    c) 3D Graphics HArdware.
    d) Virtual surround headphones.
    e) Other special edition phones that are exorbitantly priced.

Notable phones in this category are:
    Nokia N95 - N96 series.
    Samsung Omnia Series.
    LG Cookie
    Sony Ericson XPeria series.

----------------IMPORTANT--------------------
    1) THE VIEWS EXPRESSED HERE ARE PERSONAL.
    2) I AM NOT A MARKET GURU BUT I HAVE A CONSIDERABLE EXPERIENCE WITH MOBILE PHONES.
    3) THE CATEGORIES ARE NOT WELL DEFINED AS SOME FEATURES IN ONE CATEGORY MIGHT BE FOUND IN THE OTHER, EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE NOT MENTIONED IN THE ANSWER ITSELF.
    4) DUAL SIM PHONES ARE AVAILABLEFOR ALL CATEGORIES AND PRICE RANGES
    5) CHINESE MOBILES WERE NOT CONSIDERED WHILE WRITING THIS ANSWER (THANKS TO A NOT SO GOOD WARRANTY RECORD).
    6) I HAVE MORE EXPERIENCE WITH NOKIA AND SONY ERRICSON PHONES THAN ANY OTHER BRAND.
    7) AS THE PRICES CONTINUOUSLY KEEPON DECREASWING BY THE DAY THESE CATEGORIZATION WILL BECOME IRREVELANT IN THE COMING YEARS.
    8) NO MOBILE PHONE CAMERA CAN EVEN COME CLOSE, IN TERMS OF PHOTO QUALITY, TO EVEN A LOW END SIMPLE POINT AND SHOOT DIGITAL CAMERA. (I HAVE AT LEAST SEEN NONE.).
    ----------------IMPORTANT--------------------

In every mobile, there is one aspect which is exceptional, some which are good and many which are ordinary. For example, if a phone has all good features which drains the battery in a short time, it is of no practical use.

In my view, cell phone defines mobile connectivity and the three important factors to be considered are talk time (the time with which the reception and dialling of calls can be done with a single full charge), Stand by period (The time which the cell can be operational (or on) based on a single full charge, and signal reception strength (How well we hear what the other person says and how he hears what we say).

In every mobile shop, the salesperson very conveniently ignores these factors and attracts the customer with models having all new options and good pricing. These are the functional aspects that need to be looked in to and information is provided for each model in the manual given along with it.

Nokia is the market leader when it comes to battery life and user friendliness while Motorola has the best reception strength. Sony has exceptional camera but lacks functional aspects. Samsung looks good, but is not reliable.

Hi vibhor,

Its a good and common question, normally people used to ask to the seller / shopper this question which is the best phone. I recommond Nokia some model have good quality mobile. i just giving below my openion or needs to consider when buying a new mobile phone.

1. The main thing is battery, should have enough battery life, more mAh will give you more usage / time.
    2. for handy usage slim size nice, but there is a chance of dropping
    3. Must have a Good Display.
    4. Now a days you can get loudspeaker, when you driving or other reason you dont need to keep in your ear. I normally use loudspeaker. So you need to consider a good quality speaker
    5. Must be compatible for software installation
    6. The network reception must be good.
    7. New features like radio, Music Player, Video player, carl zene camera, Bluetoothmust, infrared, be present
    8 For easy for repair you should consider a good brand so you can repair or parts available for repair.
    9. Should have a good resale value.
    10.The operating must be easy.
    11.Fairly Good Camera

At last i would prefer to buy a nokia with normal phone.

Wish you all the best if you still looking for buy a good phone.

With regards,
    Any -always with IRC

With Regards,
    Any -Always with IRC

Hi Vibhor,

Are you planning to take a mobile phone. All the best.

Ok, As per me If I was asked to pick a mobile phone, my first option will be Touch Screen phone, though people say that touch phones are getting hanged , I prefer this phone, second option is nice camera with good pixel and great resolution, and it should support internet, bluetooth, FM radio, it should be used as a music system, video player and good games loaded or can be downloaded. the next come to mind is memory card, till what memory it is capable to hold and how much it can be expanded, and last but not least budget / money.

Recently I brought Nokia 5800 Xpress music from stores it costed me about 18K, the features are good,sound quality is not bad compared to other phones, Nokia is a brand which I can rely for battery and service. Think twice before you purchase any phone, its just a suggestion from my side.

Best Regards,
    Sra1

Hi,

Please consider the following points assured to buy a mobile phone so that you are not updated for some years in my experience

1)Good battery backup
    2)Good pixel display
    3)Greater than 2 MP camera
    4)Focussing of camere when shooting itself
    5)Non shaking of images in picture when shooting moving objects
    6)Hard outer body
    7)Not brittle keys.Strong keys
    8)FM stereo
    9)Bluetooth
    10)extendable memory card slot extending upto 2 GB of greater
    11)Dual sim
    12)GPRS enabled

These days all mobile phones contain everything mentioned above by friends but we need to choose best within.

I look for touch screen,Great camera,battery life

Mobile phones are very very important nowadays to every one except childrens, its advantage and disadvantage is based on how we use or handle it, we should buy the branded model depend on our knowledge, basic operating system and requirement.

If we necessary to use GPRS in mobile, we then buy it GPRS in-built model only.

If we need to make or receive calls, we then buy very basic or old model and not necessary to have GPRS/MMS/Bluetooth etc.

If we need to use much internet, it is not necessary to buy internet mobile than blackberry.

Do not buy mobile for show-off

Do not spend much money in buying mobile which experience fellows told us.

Do not waste money and time in buying unnecessary model or brand.

Hi , some qualities are :

>> battery
    >> Good Look
    >> Best price with best service
    >> easy to operate
    >> good image quality of camera
    >> good sound quality
    >> anti-theft measurement
    >> high data transfer rate
    >> strong body and keys
    >> Must be compatible for software installation

The things you should check before buying a mobile phone are:-
    1) Check whether the phone is orginal by checking its IMEI number.
    2) It should have a good battery life (both talk time and stand by time).
    3) Good build quality :- check if the product is made of good quality.
    4) Good sound quality if its a music phone.
    5) Good camera quality in all climatic conditions.
    6) Softare support from the service providers.
    7) Type of media formats supported.

Read all the reviews about that phone before buying the product.

Sasi
    The Ultimate World of Games

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.